An Approach to ICSE English provides a platform to contribute, discuss and comment on the various issues related to the study and practice of English for the students and teachers of ICSE syllabus. Even with its focussed nature, An Approach to ICSE English will be beneficial to everyone involved in the learning the niceties of the English language.
Saturday, 22 February 2014
ICSE Model Paper 2014 English 1 Grammar and Composition Question 4 Answers
a. In the following passage, fill in each numbered blank with the correct form of the word given in brackets. (Do not copy the passage, but write in correct serial order the word or phrase appropriate to the blank space.) 
Example: ......... (0)........ are showing
4. to prepare
5. is situated
7. is located
1. The leader of the gang was accustomed to flattery.
2. Do not deal in rogues; they will cheat you.
3. Child marriage prevails among certain tribes in India.
4. None could persuade him from withdrawing from the competition.
5. The young tree was bent under the weight of the snow
6. The compromise was agreed upon by the two warring factions.
7. We should sympathise with the poor.
8. A complaint was lodged against the corrupt official student.
c. Join each of the following sentences to make one complete sentence without using and, but or so:
1. Either you or I will come to the film.
2. The handwriting was so bad that no one could read the letter.
The handwriting was too bad for anyone to read the letter
3. Seeing the cat lurking, the sparrow flies away.
4. Anne took a train to Durham.
d. Rewrite the following sentences according to the instructions given after each. Make other changes that may be necessary, but do not change the meaning of any of the sentence.
1. In order that he should have string muscles, Alif exercised daily.
2. When the teacher went out, out ran the children.
3. Kim asked me whether I was still angry at her/him.
4. “By whom had these beautiful painting been bought yesterday?”
5. Raquel was too adamant to listen to any advice.
6. Rachel does not like Sid as much as Karun.
7. Is that the way a student should speak?8. None will succeed without hard work.
An Approach to ICSE English Gopakumar Menon