Friday, 23 December 2011
Class X English Grammar Practice Test 3 21-12-11 Anwers
1. George did not realise that he had committed an error. [Begin: Little …]
Little did George realise that he had committed an error.
2. I do not care which portfolio in the cabinet I am offered. [Begin: I care very…]
I care very little which portfolio in the cabinet I am offered/ is offered to me.
3. Rachel must apologise or else she will be punished. [Use: apology]
Rachel’s apology will save her from punishment.
If Rachel makes an apology, she will not be punished.
4. He succeeded in completing the assignments although he was ill. [Use: Despite…]
Despite his illness, he succeeded in completing the assignments.
5. If I had not intervened in the matter, it would have had a drastic consequence. [Begin: But…]
But for my intervention in the matter, it would have had a drastic consequence.
6. The granny opened the door and her pet dog ran out. [End: dog]
The granny opened the door and out ran her pet dog.
7. If a fire breaks out, use the emergency exit. [Begin: In case of ….]
In case of a fire/fire, use the emergency exit.
8. Always use a standard dictionary. Do not use a three-penny one. [Use: in lieu of]
Always use a standard dictionary in lieu of a three penny one.
9. “Have you heard of the Yeti, Mohan?” , said Meera. [ Change into a statement]
Meera asked Mohan whether he had heard of the Yeti.
10. Rosa was so sure of winning the race that she skipped her daily practice. [Begin: So….]
So sure of winning the race was Rosa that she skipped her daily practice.
11. Caesar’s overbearing pride was the reason for his tragic fall. [Use: proud]
Caesar tragically fell as he was overbearingly proud.
Caesar was so overbearingly proud that he tragically fell.
12. Joan was pretty .She was not intelligent. [combine using as]
Joan was not as intelligent as she was pretty.
13. If you need any help, call the Customer Care. [Begin: Should…]
Should you need any help, call the Customer Care.
14. They believe that honey is the ambrosia on earth. [Change the voice]
It is believed that honey is the ambrosia on earth.
15. You have to persevere in order to prove yourself in life. [Use: so that]
You have to persevere so that you will/can/may prove yourself in life.