An Approach to ICSE English provides a platform to contribute, discuss and comment on the various issues related to the study and practice of English for the students and teachers of ICSE syllabus. Even with its focussed nature, An Approach to ICSE English will be beneficial to everyone involved in the learning the niceties of the English language.
Thursday, 24 June 2010
Revision Test:Composition and Grammar
Question 1 
Apply for the following post advertised.
Question 2 Rewrite the following sentences according to the instructions given after each and making other changes that may be necessary, without changing the meaning of any sentence. 
1. To the best of my knowledge, he is vegetarian. (Begin: As far as ….)
2. The train journey from Kolkata to Asansol takes three hours. (Begin: It is a ….)
3. The peon cannot leave unless I permit him. (Use: without)
4. 'Kindly leave the bag here, Madam', said the porter. (Change the narration)
5. The tea is so hot that I cannot drink it. ( Remove: so….that)
6. He was a poet as well as a statesman. (Combine to make a negative sentence)
7. As soon as the awards were announced, the winners walked to the podium. (Begin: No sooner…)
8. No one came as late as Diana to the party. . (Change to superlative)
9. The thought of being alone terrified her. (change the voice)
10. Put your books aside, people may fall over them. (Use: lest)
Question 3 Fill in the blanks with appropriate preposition: 
1) I looked ……. my nephew while his parents went out.
2) We should not look ……. upon the poor.
3) Farmers look ……. to a better standard of living.
4) The principal promised to look ……. her case.
5) I am trying to look ……. my key.